Kurt Weill Festival: Zaubernacht & Mahagonny Songspiel - Maryland Opera Studio
UMD School of Music
Presenting an opera double bill, the Maryland Opera Studio juxtaposes two of Weill’s earliest works for the stage — Zaubernacht (1922) and Mahagonny Songspiel (1927). Translating to "magic night," Zaubernacht is an enchanting work for solo soprano and chamber orchestra about a magical fairy who brings toys to life, featuring dance students from the School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies. During intermission, the audience will be asked to exit as the entire theatre will be transformed into a film studio for the second opera. Mahagonny Songspiel is a scenic cantata that explores an unhealthy obsession with media and personalities. This work also marks the beginning of Kurt Weill's collaborations with Bertolt Brecht.
Sung in German with English supertitles.
Join us for a pre-concert lecture Friday, April 5, 2019 at 6PM!
This event is part of the Kurt Weill Festival funded in part by the Kurt Weill Foundation for Music, Inc., New York NY.
University of Maryland College Park
College Park, MD 20742
More Event Ideas
- More Fairs and Festivals Events
- Saturday, May 18, 10:00 AM
- Open Masterclass with Yumi Kendall, cello - National Orchestral Institute + Festival at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts CenterMonday, Jun 24, 7:00 PM
- Open Masterclass with Bart Feller, flute - National Orchestral Institute + Festival at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts CenterMonday, Jun 17, 7:00 PM
- More Events at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
- Dancenorth/Lucy Guerin Inc. (Australia/Indonesia) - Attractor at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts CenterSaturday, May 4, 8:00 PM
- Monday, May 6, 6:30 PM
- Friday, May 10, 9:30 PM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.