Kurt Weill Festival: Street Scene - Maryland Opera Studio
UMD School of Music
The Maryland Opera Studio presents Weill's Street Scene, a work that brilliantly combines elements of opera and musical theater and that is widely acknowledged as one of the composer's masterpieces. Set in a crowded tenement in 1920s New York City, the opera portrays life among a diverse group of working-class immigrants and the climactic events of one sweltering summer day. Based on a story by Elmer Rice with lyrics by Langston Hughes, Street Scene addresses social justice issues, immigration, race and the complexity of human relationships.
Sung in English with supertitles.
This event is part of the Kurt Weill Festival funded in part by the Kurt Weill Foundation for Music, Inc., New York NY.
University of Maryland College Park
College Park, MD 20742
More Event Ideas
- More Fairs and Festivals Events
- NOI+F Open Masterclass with Alexander Kerr, violin - National Orchestral Institute + Festival at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts CenterTuesday, Jun 4, 7:00 PM
- NOI+F Chamber Music Showcase - National Orchestral Institute + Festival at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts CenterThursday, Jun 27, 7:00 PM
- Open Masterclass with Bart Feller, flute - National Orchestral Institute + Festival at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts CenterMonday, Jun 17, 7:00 PM
- More Events at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
- SPARK! Lounge Pre-Concert Conversation: Dvořák's Symphony No. 8 at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts CenterSaturday, Jun 8, 7:00 PM
- Saturday, Jun 29, 7:00 PM
- Ravel, Britten and Strauss - National Orchestral Institute Philharmonic & Wolf Trap Opera at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts CenterSaturday, Jun 22, 8:00 PM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.